Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Scotland: Day 1 - Edinburgh

We arrived in Edinburgh, Scotland on Thursday night via train around 6:30.  A few of us went out to dinner at The Elephant Cafe where J.K. Rowling had the idea for Harry Potter and started writing it on napkins.  The food was good - I had a chicken and bacon pizza.  The place wasn't even crowded or overrun by tourists. It only had a few plaques up on J.K. Rowling but has managed to stay pretty authentic despite the Harry Potter craze.  However, it does refer to itself as "the birthplace of Harry Potter"... The coolest thing about the restaurants is the bathrooms. May sound weird... but trust me. The restaurant allows people to write on the walls saying anything about Harry Potter or JK Rowling (plus it's nice reading material in there if ya know what I mean...)














We were only in Edinburgh for the night but more to come on the rest of Scotland soon! Oh and speaking of Harry Potter, did I mention I saw Rupert Grint (aka Ron Weasley)!? He takes a casual smoke break at 4:00 every day right outside my usual tube station. Fancy that. I'll try to get a picture the next time. I'm about the only one in my study abroad group who hasn't gotten one yet... 

No comments:

Post a Comment